The Minnesota Beef Expo is proud to have awarded 185 heifers to deserving youth across the Midwest since the start of Minnesota Youth Beef Experience Program (MYBEP) in 2004! Each year, cattle producers from across the region generously donate heifers to help young cattle enthusiasts get their feet wet in the beef business.
Each MYBEP winner is responsible for raising, breeding and maintaining complete records on care of the animal, while providing monthly progress reports to the original owner and the Minnesota Beef Expo. MYBEP recipients must also commit to participating at the Expo in the following year. The breeders who donated heifers will serve as mentors to the MYBEP youth and help guide them through their first year as cattle owners.
Questions about MYBEP can be directed to Expo staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-643-6476. Applications for the 2023 MYBEP program are now closed.
RULES & INFORMATION
- MYBEP recipients will receive a heifer donated by an experienced cattle family, organization or individual, two straws of semen from Minnesota Select Sires, an Andis cattle clippers and 100 pounds of Purina Show Chow from Purina Animal Nutrition.
- Must be 12-16 years on Thursday, Oct. 19, 2023.
- Must participate as a 4-H, FFA or junior breed association member
- Must live in Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota or Wisconsin
- Previous recipients of MYBEP heifers are ineligible to enter
- Applications for the 2023 MYBEP program are now closed.
- Applicants will be judged on their commitment to agriculture, ability to define clear future goals, financial need and ability to raise the animal in a proper setting.
- All applicants must complete the online application form (available on Aug. 1) thoroughly and carefully. Be mindful of spelling, grammar, punctuation and clarity. The application includes questions about your experience in agriculture, school, community activities, and 4-H/FFA/junior breed associations, and will require you to submit a letter of intent no longer than two, typed pages.
- Two letters of recommendation must be submitted via the online application.
- One reference letter must be from your 4-H extension officer, FFA advisor or junior association leader.
- One reference letter must be from an adult who is not related you but knows you well enough to comment on abilities and commitment.
- All additional materials (the two letters of reference) must be submitted by uploading them in the application form (please name the files with your first and last name)
- Selected applicants will be notified via phone in early October.