Each year, the Minnesota Beef Expo welcomes both youth and adults to participate our well-attended judging contest where participants sort through six high-quality classes of cattle!
All are encouraged to join us (college teams, adults, FFA chapters, 4-H county teams, etc.)! You do not need to be an Expo participant to compete, and all participants will register on-site the morning of the competition.
Questions about the judging contest can be directed to Expo staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-643-6476.
Friday, Oct. 20, 2023 (Lee & Rose Warner Coliseum Arena)
8-9 a.m.: Registration (Horse Show Office – Northwest corner of Coliseum)
9:15 a.m.: Instructions and welcome (Please find a seat in section 21)
9:30 a.m.: Judging contest begins
3 p.m.: Awards presentation
Please come prepared with your list of individual and/or team participants names and entry fee.
RULES & INFORMATION
- The Expo’s judging contest will feature six classes of beef cattle consisting of breeding heifers, market steers and prospect calves.
- Time limit will be 12 minutes per class.
- Classes may include questions that will be asked following the contest.
- There will be no oral reasons.
- Please bring a pencil.
- Team: $20
- Individual $7
- Team entries will be comprised of four individuals. All four scores will be used to calculate the team score.
- Individual entries will also be accepted.
- Age groups for the judging contest will be as follows. NEW FOR 2023! Please use your age as of Jan. 1, 2023:
- Junior: 7 to 11
- Intermediate: 12 to 14
- Senior: 15 to 18
- Adult: High school graduates and up (adults will only judge as individuals)
- There will be team competitions in the junior, intermediate and senior age groups.
- Adults will only judge as individuals.
- Awards will be given to top teams in the junior, intermediate and senior divisions and individuals in all four age groups.