RULES & INFORMATION
- Each team will consist of four individuals. One team member must be from each age division: ages 9 to 13; ages 14 to 17; and ages 18 to 21. (Use contestant’s age as of the 1st day of the MN Beef Expo.) The additional team member may be from any of the three age divisions.
- Teams must sign up during the contest registration period. Entry forms will be available in the Junior Show Office until 10 a.m. on Friday, October 20.
- Each team will be responsible for bringing a heifer or steer to use in the competition. Heifers and steers are not to be groomed but should be washed and dried. Animals will be checked before the competition begins. Please listen to the loud speakers for information on when to bring the animal to the show ring.
- Each team must provide their own fitting equipment. Once the contest begins, no team member may leave the area and no additional equipment may be brought into the area.
- Once the fitting area is designated for each team by the contest officials, the team may set up their grooming chute and supplies in their designated area. These items should be in place at least 5 minutes prior to the announced starting time of the contest.
- Each team will be allowed 30 minutes to fit their animal.
- Each team member must fit a leg, use the clippers and blower.
- All fitting and grooming techniques must be within the accepted practices of the IAFE National Code of Show Ring Ethics.
- Once the animal has been groomed and time is called, the team will stand at the head of the animal until the judges get to them to review their animal. When the judges arrive, the animal needs to be taken out of the chute and presented by the team. Judges will be encouraged to ask one question per team member at this time. Each team member must answer one question.
- Judging will be by a three-member panel of judges based on 50 points maximum from each judge. Each judge shall total their score and rank the contestants in numerical order on the basis of their score. (Highest score first, lowest score last.)
- The rankings (not the score) of the three judges shall be added for each team, and the final placings determined by the lowest composite rankings. Actual scores will be used only to break ties. In the event the participants are still tied, they shall be named co-winners and two awards will be given for that placing and none for the following placing.
- Points will be awarded as follows:
- Ability to fit - 20 points
- Participation of each team member - 10 points
- Overall effectiveness - 10 points
- Organization of supplies & equipment - 5 points
- Knowledge & response to questions - 5 points
Showmanship has traditionally been and will continue to be a no fit show. Exhibitors will be judged strictly on their showmanship skills, with no emphasis being placed on fitting skills; exhibitors do have the option of fitting their animal for the sole purpose of personal practice.
Group A: Grades 4 & under Group B: Grades 5 & 6
Group C: Grades 7 & 8 Group D: Grades 9 & 10
Group E: Grades 11 & 12 Group F: Graduates to age 21
Awards will be given to the top five in each division.
Entry Information: Advanced entry is required. All participants must be registered by 8 pm on Thursday, October 18 through the online system. Check in for Showmanship will be on Thursday, October 18 from 8 am to 6 pm and Friday, October 19 from 8 am to noon. Check in is required.
Entry Fee: $5